How do I know what local laws and regulations are?
Contact your city or municipality for applicable laws and regulations governing above ground pools – these may include the following:
- A building permit (not required in all areas, but you should always check)
- Safety standards (in certain regions)
- Utilities (electricity, laws governing when pools can be filled and drained, etc.)
- Laws regarding fencing and boundaries around a yard with a pool
- Boundaries of your property
Be sure to select a spot that is far from overhead or underground electrical lines and water and natural gas pipes and make sure you’re not putting your pool near any natural water sources.